Living in Downtown Jersey City
We moved to downtown Jersey City back in 2011 when it was still “up and coming”
Having grown up in the Heights on Jefferson Ave in Jersey City, never would I have thought that I would have moved back. After graduating high school and a small year stint in the suburbs, when my parents moved us out of Jersey City to Piscataway, I ended up in Hells Kitchen in New York City. Fast forward almost a decade in the city, Sean and I were trying to buy something and we ended up falling in love with the grit but gentrified downtown Jersey City.
We found this amazing 1890s brownstone walk through that had the right bones and just needed some TLC. It was all Sean’s hard work and vision which turned it into our new home.
Things we loved about Downtown Jersey City
- Location. Super easy to get to NYC, about a 18 minute train ride into Herald Square or less than 5 minutes into World Trade Center
- Trees. We actually had trees and birds chirping outside our windows. In our apartment in NYC, all we heard were sirens and drunk girls at night.
- Authenticity. The people that lived there at the time are real people, not some wanna be hipster or artist but actual artist or everyday people.
- Cost of living. It was a shock when I first went grocery shopping and realized how much less everything cost!! Ice cream in the city was $5-$6 but in Jersey City, it was $3.00!
- People. We made some good friends while we lived in Downtown Jersey city.